Monday, February 20, 2012

Season of Lent

This Wednesday marks the beginning of the season of Lent, "a special time of prayer, penance, sacrifice and good works in preparation of the celebration of Easter." According to the Catholic Education Resource Center, people are encouraged "to give up something" for Lent as a sacrifice.

I usually try to give up dessert for Lent. Notice I said TRY. That's my biggest weakness, all things sweet. As a result, sometimes I fail in my effort.

But I have a bigger demon this year: Reality TV.

Yep.

I believe I am addicted to Reality TV. There's something on almost every night: Basketball Wives, Love & Hip Hop, Real Housewives of Atlanta, Braxton Family Values, the Millionaire Matchmaker. Then you have all those wedding shows: Say Yes to the Dress, 4 Weddings, My Fair Wedding with David Tutera. (I had to stop watching Bridezillas because I just couldn't understand how such mean girls found husbands).

Will I be able to give up Reality TV for the next six weeks, until Easter which is April 8? I don't know. It's going to be real hard (LOL!).

Maybe I could use that time to be productive - work on my book or write some freelance articles. I may just have to pray, because my will power is going to be tested.

Tonite was the beginning of a new season of Basketball Wives and it looks like it's gonna be good. Lawd I just hope a new season of Millionaire Matchmaker doesn't start in the next six weeks !

By the way, would you consider Unsung reality tv or is it documentary, biography? What about Oprah's Master Class?

What are some things that you would find hard to give up for six weeks? (junk food? shopping? the Internet?)

Holla

1 comment:

kendra said...

i always give up something i don't like anyway--like liver. i know that defeats the purpose of lent, but i know i won't fail at it! :)