Thursday, December 8, 2011

Doctor Visit

So I went to the doctor yesterday for my annual checkup. She looked at my chart: You get your first mammogram next year -(reminding me that this is my last year in my 30s).

You still single?
Yeah. Nothing's changed, I said. But don't be surprised if I tell you I'm getting married next year.
She smiled.
Though I don't have a boyfriend, she still had me tested for HIV, HPV, chlamydia, etc., which was cool. She also gave me tests to check my cholesterol level and signs of diabetes.

How's work?
It's alright.

Any major family losses or diagnosis?
My aunt died last month of kidney failure and leukemia, I told her.

You doing self breast exams?
I shook my head no. I hadn't been.
She gave me a "you know better" look.
sigh.

Are you taking your Vitamin D and Calcium?
I'm not. I mean I bought them last year when she told me that I should take them, but for whatever reason I just can't seem to take them. They're still on my night stand.
She was disappointed: You really need your Vitamin D and Calcium. They help prevent osteoporosis. Try to get them in at least 3 times a week.
(yeah, yeah) - So I took them this morning after my boot camp.

Have you taken your flu shot this year?
I don't want a flu shot, I protested. (I'm such a baby)
She smiled. okay.
(whew)

I'm glad you're exercising she said. That's helping to keep your bones strong.
Finally some positive news! (LOL !)

She continued with my exam, giving me tips along the way. I like that my doctor is so thorough. But the visit is also a wake-up call of how I could do, should do, better healthwise.

So today I'm asking: How's your health? What are some things you could improve on?

4 comments:

SingLikeSassy said...

I'm too fat as I have been for longer than I can remember at this point.

My other numbers are good. I had my first mammogram at 35 and now it's time for a second one. Doc just talked to me about it.

But, overall, I'm good.

Anonymous said...

you. haven't. been. doing. your. self. breast. exams? don't make me come up there and beat you!!!!!

uneek said...

I need to exerice more. I was diagnosed with pre-hypertension about two years ago. So I need to stay active.
I have two mammograms so far. It's good to get check ups regularly, but going to speciality doctors really cost.

TNDRHRT said...

I'm obese and my doc put me on a combo pill for my bp. I'm going to beat both. Just had my annual pap this morning. Yearly mammogram is in March. I started them at 37/38. Vision is good. Still wearing contacts and glasses, but good nonetheless. Dental visit is on the 28th.