Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Dear Me

So I'm driving home, listening to Michael Baisden and he has an excellent question today:
What would you tell your younger self?

Wow.

I would tell younger me a lot. Here are just a few things: If it doesn't feel right it probably isn't; listen to your gut; have courage, be fearless, take risks; be proactive and take initiative; seek out mentors in your field; speak up, say what's on your mind, stand up for yourself; ask for what you want, what you deserve; stay persistent, stay determined; be polite, it gets you places; condoms are your friend; eat right and exercise consistently; smile; laugh often; be reliable, dependable, responsible; you have choices - you can do this or you can do that; think before you respond, it's all in how you react; a good attitude is a great thing; faith, focus, follow-up.
When it comes to men: The Maya Angelou quote, "When people show you who they are, believe them — the first time."

So, I ask you: What would you tell your younger self? about life? about love? about career? about pain? about triumphs? about success?

Let me know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like all of your suggestions. Mine are:

Figure yourself out

Don't let others define or overly influence you

Stand for something

Know when to compromise

Be open and explore difference cultures

Love yourself

Learn how to forgive yourself and others

Life is short; learn from your mistakes and move on

Communicate

Don't lose faith

BPC said...

I would tell myself a lot of things, but at this point in my life, I think the things I wish someone had told me is to think/dream broader and bigger, anything can happen. I know that is still applicable today, but just imagine if I had always practiced that.

TNDRHRT said...

I would tell my younger self to stay focused, disciplined, and motivated. With those three results will come. Never give up. Love yourself immensely! My younger self would have benefitted from that.