Monday, September 26, 2011

Loving Him (Part 2)

So today I want to talk about Daddy issues.

On one of the episodes of Basketball Wives, cast member Evelyn Lozado confronted her father about not being there for her growing up. She said during the episode, "When you don't have a father in your life, that's just such a big part of your life missing." She noted that she was looking for love in all the wrong places because she didn't have a father and that a lot of the bad decisions that she made had to do with the fact that her father was absent from her life.
Check out the video below:


hmmm.

As a child, did you see your parents in a loving relationship? Was your father in the home? Do you think the relationship you witnessed as a child between your parents has any impact on your romantic situation today? If your father wasn't in the home, do you think that has had an impact on how you relate to men?

Think about it.

How did your father treat your mother? Did you have a positive example of Black Love in your home? Do you want someone like your father? Was your image of men shaped by your relationship with your father?

A male friend told me that his mother and father were always loving toward one another and his father taught him to always respect his mother. He said more than anything he wanted the kind of relationship his parents had. He got married right after college and today he and his wife have five children. He adores his wife like his father adored his mother.

So I ask: Is your expectation of a relationship based on what you learned or witnessed growing up? (How can you do any better when you don't know any better? How can you emulate what you don't see?)

Do you believe your single situation today has anything to do with how you learned to relate to men growing up? Did you have a male figure in your life to show you how you are suppose to be treated?

Man. I got a lot of questions - LOL !

Let me know your thoughts.

1 comment:

SingLikeSassy said...

My single situation today has nothing to do with my father, BUT I do believe fathers are important.

I know that some of my expectations of my husband to be a provider are based on the head of household role my father held with my mom and holds with his wife now.

My father is also a flowers, surprise gifts, let me do romantic-y type things for you kinda guy, and I have that expectation from men, too.