Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Forgive Me Please


I received an email yesterday from a guy I had gone out with more than a year ago. The subject line said: "Never meant to hurt you."

The body of the text simply said:
"I am sorry for any pain or hurt I ever caused you directly. Just thinking about you and felt you deserved that."

wow.

I was extremely surprised to get an email from this person. But I also thought it was very presumptuous of him to believe that he had caused me any pain.

Anyway, I had gone out several times with this young man. On one evening we were suppose to meet at a local lounge. He was very late and when he did show up, it was obvious that he had been drinking. His eyes were red and he was talking very loudly. I mean people were looking at us.

Hurt? No — just embarrassed and disappointed in his behavior.

When we were leaving out the lounge, the security guard told me to make sure he got home safely (jeez..). Well, that irked my date and as he walked me to my car he started going off, "that nigga don't know me. I got folks who will kill for me !"

Well, that did it. I was done! I mean done !

I never talked to him again after that. I didn't return any phone calls or text messages. I de-friended him on Facebook.

So, I was surprised when I received his email yesterday. I didn't respond (and won't) but I had to chuckle: He never hurt me. I was just scared for my life - LOL !!!

However, I was impressed with his note. I think it's very big of a person to say 'I'm sorry,' or to apologize for wrongdoing.

I guess in his own way, he was asking for forgiveness for anything that he might have done to cause me pain. I don't know why he decided to do it now (nearly 2 years later). I guess the holidays make people feel a little guilty for their past transgressions.

Do you need to do a little forgiving?
Is there anyone you would like to apologize to?
Is there anyone that you believe owes you an apology for the pain they may have caused in your life?
Is there something that you absolutely cannot forgive?

Let me know your thoughts.

photo by danaphotography.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like he's working the AA steps. number 9: apologize to anyone you may have wronged.

Anonymous said...

Holiday seasons and times of great stress, I have found personally, make people reach out. I did it a couple of years ago around Christmas and back in spring this year shortly before my dad died. I'm not sure what actually happens psychologically -- -- but SOMETHING makes you wanna tidy up loose ends, make peace, right wrongs, etc.

cbean said...

Ha. AA was my first thought too.

Anonymous said...

I think that you should acknowledge his email. It took courage to send the email. Even if you were not hurt by his actions, a little good will towards him is fitting.

Drea said...

I was thinking the same thing that Anonymous said.