Monday, November 15, 2010

Is Chivalry Dead?


I was listening to the Big Tigger Morning Show this morning and their twitter question of the day was: Things Men Don't Do Anymore.

Of course, the show received a lot of responses from their female listeners. One woman tweeted that men don't know about intimacy anymore - touching, kissing, hugging. They just want to "get it in" she noted. Another woman tweeted that men no longer commit and along the same lines, another listener wrote that men don't do relationships anymore — interesting. Please click here to read the rest of the twitter responses. Some are hilarious.

Tigger's co-host, Danella pointed out that men don't "court" women anymore.

She noted that gone are the days when you meet a guy, have a conversation with him on the phone, set up a date, he comes to pick you up for the date, you have a good time, he takes you home and you say good night.

Ms. Danella said guys don't want to call anymore, either. It's all about texting: "Can you meet me here?" And that's another thing, she said. What happened to the days when men would actually come pick you up for a date instead of you just "meeting" them out somewhere?

I'm with you Ms. Danella. But it's hard for men to court when they receive so many mix messages.

For example: I used to allow guys to come pick me up for a date. They would knock on my door, walk me to the car and open the car door for me. I never saw anything wrong with it. But listening to my friends who are concerned for my safety, now I often suggest that I meet a guy in a mutual place — a restaurant, movie theater. I understand the whole point of not wanting a stranger to know where you live - especially in these dangerous times when you really don't know what type of person you're dealing with initially. I think the online dating thing is a prime example of when you should meet someone in a public place. So today, I get in my car and drive.

But how do we expect men to court us if we don't even allow them to come pick us up for a date?

Last week, I had a date and agreed to meet the person at the event. My sister said, "He's not coming to pick you up? That's not a date." - LOL. (I'm not in Mississippi anymore Stephanie.)

Anyway, I'm getting off the topic. The question of the day is: What don't men do anymore?

Let me know your thoughts.

photo by Katie Tegtmeyer.

3 comments:

SingLikeSassy said...

When I was single I lived alone and you couldn't come to my house and pick me up because I watch CSI/Law & Order/Bones/NCIS/Criminal Minds and I wasn't about to be skinned and worn like a calfskin leather coat. I will meet you at the spot until I feel comfortable enough with you that I can let you know where I live.

Unknown said...

I hate to be male bashing, but there are alot that men don't do! But another good question would be is "What don't women allow men to do?" It works both ways. I truly understand how times are and I live also, so we must be very careful. Once a man and woman are comfortable with each other, men should give complliments freely. They should learn how to "court" the lady, picking her up for dates, and paying for dates! opening the door, just being plain NICE. Again, Im not male bashing, because women can be very rude to men where they no longer want to be generous! We need to work on this!

Adkins said...

They don't let you on/off the elevator first, they don't open doors...I agree that men don't court much anymore, but I will throw it back and say is anyone teaching them?