Sunday, October 24, 2010

Re-thinking Marriage


For the past two years, I have been Gung-ho about getting married, finding a husband, trying to find somebody to "put a ring on it." I've written about some of my escapades in this blog.

But today, as I walked along the Alexandria Waterfront by myself (among all the loving couples), I got to thinking: Do I really want to get married?

By married, I mean in the traditional sense.

I know I want a companion, a partner, a love — maybe someone to hold my hand or rub my feet (after teaching an hour Jazzercise class) or someone to have dinner with on occasion. I want a help mate (it's hard finding a reliable handyman these days - LOL. okay, just kidding).

But do I want to be a wife?

After visiting a recently married friend, I learned this takes a whole new set of skills (lol) — compromise, sacrifice, etc.

I don't know. I'm not quite sure what I want right now. But I do know that I don't want to be alone for the rest of my life. I want someone "to have and to hold." But will it be in a conventional marriage? I can't say.

What are your thoughts?


(photo by Pikaluk.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's conventional?

Anonymous said...

I too have pondered the same.....there was a time I was SO wanting to be married and then I had to step back and ask myself "What does that REALLY mean???" How will my life be impacted?? Am I ready to cook most meals, wash someone else's clothes, be a mom and add motherhood duties to the growing list of new responsibilities????? So then I kick my feet up and realize maybe being single isn't so bad after all :)

However, I do love male companionship and knowing you always have a fun date or someone to travel with. I dunno....I try not to worry about it all too much!

Anonymous said...

I think you're over-thinking this. Yes, you want a relationship--a PARTNER, not someone ordering you around.

Marcella said...

I understand exactly how you feel. I've recently been thinking about this very thing. I think it becomes more apparently and visible when you see your married friends with kids and see how different they are. Remember those days of you all just getting up and going. And another thing, sometimes from the outside looking in, it either looks very bad or really good. You really never see the middle ground. It's just another part of life where your fit, fits like no one elses...stop letting your married friends freak you out. I've noticed that's what I was doing. LOL