Thursday, October 21, 2010

A Homecooked Meal


I was talking to a guy last night. He is from Ghana. He asked me where I was from. I told him Mississippi. He said he loved African women and Southern women.

"Really?" I said. "Why?" I asked.

He told me that he liked Southern women because "they can cook and they know how to take care of a man."

Now, I didn't know if I should have been offended or flattered by his comment.

I remember a few years ago, a male church member would help me out with some of my home projects. I would always ask him how much I owed him for the work and he would always opt for just a homecooked meal. So I would cook dinner and we would talk.

One day he told me I was perfect: "Man, you're nice, smart and you can cook," he said. He expressed his interest in me, but said he wasn't sure if I could be submissive - LOL. This young man is now married.

So the Ghanaian got me to thinking: Maybe my relationships aren't working out because I haven't shown my "nurturing" side. I don't remember the last time I cooked dinner for a male suitor.

My realtor once told me he dated a young lady for more than a year and not "once did she cook dinner for me." And on another occasion a former boyfriend told me that he liked to visit Brazil because women there "let men be men." (What do you think that means?)

Is this what guys want?

It reminded me of a scene in the movie, The Best Man. Writer Taye Diggs comes home and his girlfriend, played by Sanaa Lathan had cooked dinner and had a nice warm bath ready for her man. In college, Diggs' character was in love with Nia Long's character who had become a successful television producer. His friend told him that Long's character, who was single, would not make a good wife (or would never settle down), because that type of woman would always put her career first.

Interesting.

So I ask, despite all the progress and gains we've made over the years, do men really want a "traditional" wife?
What are your thoughts on this?

2 comments:

TNDRHRT said...

Yes, I believe that most men want a traditional wife. We can still have a career and all of that if we want, but the man also wants us to be his WIFE first and foremost.

SingLikeSassy said...

Hm. I dunno, my mama always said don't start nothing you ain't gonna finish, meaning if you know you don't want to cook and don't plan to cook, don't start cooking cause then it will be expected. I personally like to cook and do housewife-y stuffs, but if it's not you, I think you should just be yourself. The guy (s) who is (are) right for you is (are) out there.