Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Soul Mate Wish List

So, I get an email from Oprah.com about finding your soul mate and of course I open it because, well, I'm trying to find my soul mate.

In the article, author Arielle Ford notes how she was a successful entrepreneur who had also created a nonprofit that raised a million dollars for homeless women. According to her, she had "an amazing life, wonderful friends" and a big, fun career. But at 43 she was single, "with no real prospects for romance."

So what did she do? Ford decided to use the same manifestation tools and techniques that she used to launch a successful career and nonprofit (such as prayer and meditation) and applied them to her love life.

The first thing she did, Ford notes, was create a Soul Mate Wish List. Before creating the list, she listened to her heart to decide what she most desired in a life partner. Ford writes: "By identifying what's really important to you, you'll begin to send out a strong and consistent signal that will draw to you a partner who has values and goals that are similar to yours."

Today, Ford is happily married to her soul mate. Read about her journey here.

In the article, Ford listed a few qualities and traits to consider when creating a soul mate list such as: Affectionate, Ambitious, Articulate, Beautiful, Caring, Charismatic, Considerate, Creative, Family-oriented, Fun, funny, Generous, Loving, Nurturing, Smart, Successful, etc.

I thought it was interesting there was nothing on the list about education instead she said ambitious, articulate, successful. There was nothing on there about marital status or children, instead she used the words, family-oriented. (I wondered where was I going to put 'college-educated professional never married no kids'?). There was also nothing about physical traits — tall, slim, short, athletic. Ford used the term, "beautiful," which could mean different things to different people.

So maybe I have been asking for the wrong thing: Always looking for those with superficial success instead of quality traits. I'll change my tune and see if I can finally draw that special someone into my life.

What do you think?
What are your thoughts on the Soul Mate Wish List?
Do you believe in such a thing?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

jesus is my 1st love.my saviour,my
god,my lord,my king,my life,my everything.i am waiting for my soulmate at 37 years of age.i have waited for the right woman of god when i am ready!jesus is the only way. there is no no no no other way!!!i only hope i am strong enough to die if i have to for my
king and friend jesus the christ and my family of christians and if sinners get saved because i refuse to take a chip in my body,then my death will not be for nothing.god alone deserves the glory!!!i will not take the mark of the beast.if im wrong i lose nothing but if youre wrong?youll wish every second
of eternity that it would have been better that you had never been born.hell isnt the worst part?
being there forever with no end is
what i cant imagine?meet me in heaven?billyd