Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Oh, BOY !


So I went to the Washington Convention Center yesterday to pick up my registration for the Congressional Black Caucus' Annual Legislative Conference. I usually cover the conference panels and workshops for my job. I get great story ideas and make great contacts for future stories.

There were so many fine Black men in suits, I began having heart palpitations. I mean, I had to sit down for fear of having an anxiety attack. Jesus. They were everywhere: polite, well-groomed, smart. oooowweeee!!!

Most seemed like they had their sh$t together. They looked like they were about something.

But all that glitters ain't gold. Looks can be deceiving.

A few years ago when the Black MBA Association held their conference in D.C. I met three guys at one of the parties. One was an attorney and realtor with octopus hands and a vulgar mouth. Another was a Ph.D. candidate who lived in North Carolina. He was rude. And the last guy I met turned out to be a former felon. Yep. He had served time in jail for gun possession and holding someone hostage. I'm not kidding. I later learned that he wore one of those things around his ankle so law enforcement could keep track of his whereabouts - WHAT ???

I was floored. I had met this guy at the Black MBA party! But he looked the part — nice suit, polite, well-spoken, friendly. He fit right in with those well-educated, well-established Black folks with good jobs. (turns out he knew some of the people who worked for the club - security or dj - who told him about the party)

So lesson learned: Anybody can put on a nice suit. (and anybody with an email can get on a guestlist or show an email printout)

Anyway, back to the CBC. I'll probably do a reception or two in the following days and who knows, I may even hit a party. But I'm not "looking" for a man or expecting to meet anyone. Comedian Cheryl Underwood has often referred to CBC weekend as "Freaknik for old folks." LOL. There have probably been more than a few hookups over the years. On more than one occasion I've seen a married male friend chatting a little too close to some random chic not his wife. (innocent flirting right?)

What do you think?
Do you know anyone who met someone or "hooked" up during CBC weekend or any other big event — Howard Homecoming, fraternal conventions or association conferences (Black MBA, Black accountants, Lawyer groups, etc.)?
Do you think these kinds of conferences are good places to meet people for long-term relationships?

Let me know your thoughts.

photo by g-mikee.

No comments: