Monday, August 30, 2010

What Not To Wear


A few weeks ago I saw a woman who had to be in her 50s, maybe even 60s, wearing short shorts and girlfriend looked good in her shorts!

So that got me to thinking: Now that I'm closer to 40 than 30, at what age should I stop wearing certain clothing?

How old is too old to wear:
mini skirts
sleeveless tops or sleeveless dresses
daisy duke shorts
low rise jeans
bikinis
short, navel-revealing tops

Remember in Sex and the City 2, Samantha, who was 50, had on the same outfit as teen queen Miley Cyrus. At what age would I look absolutely ridiculous wearing, I don't know, wedge shoes?

On an episode of The Real Housewives of New York last year, housewife Jill commented that rival Ramona was too old to be wearing a bikini. Except for one, all of the women are in their 40s. And by God, Ramona looked good in her swim wear.

Now, Halle Berry, who is in her 40s, looks absolutely gorgeous in a bikini. But we all don't have Halle Berry's perfect body.

And did you see the photos of Oscar winner Helen Mirren, left, in a bikini? Girlfriend is in her 60s and rocking it! Check out the photos here.

Anyway, I guess my question is, if you have the BODY, does that mean you can wear whatever you want at any age?


Tina Turner still looks good in a mini skirt at near 70. But I'm not delusional. I know I won't look like Tina Turner when I'm nearly 70.



I'm aware, however, that things begin to droop and sag as we get older. Though exercise and weight-bearing movements help a lot, eventually gravity takes over. Cher once admitted in an interview that she hated aging, getting older. And Madonna is doing all she can to fight mother nature.

But seriously, some women of a certain age don't feel comfortable showing their arms. I don't feel comfortable wearing shorts (for obvious reasons - lol !).


So tell me:
What things do you think are inappropriate for a woman over 40, over 50 or over 60 to wear?

Let me know your thoughts.


Halle Berry photo by Brava67.

Photo of Helen Mirren by Steve Garfield.

Tina Turner photo by Exettra Inc..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe in the saying "if you got it, FLAUNT it!!!"

The key is looking GOOD & tasteful & not trampy or trashy! My aunts get on me about wearing short shorts & mini-skirts but I have great legs & will continue to show them off as I see fit!