Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Maybe It's Me

Yall know I don't have cable right now right?
My bootleg cable guy doesn't return from South Carolina until later on this month. But that's okay. It just means I'll be writing a little bit more and giving more attention to other things — like freelancing and my Giving Circle.

Anyway, I had to go to a meeting in downtown D.C. earlier this week. When I got on the elevator, a man – older Black gentleman, probably late 40s, early 50s – gave me a compliment.

"I like your dress," he said.

"Thank you," I replied.

"Where did you get it from?" he asked.

I looked at him puzzled before answering, "Oh, I don't know. Maybe T.J. Maxx or Marshall's or something like that."

"Yeah," he said excitedly. "T.J. Maxx, A.J. Wright, all of that. You my kinda woman," he shouted before getting off the elevator.

LOL.

On another note, yesterday morning I was talking to a guy who has shown interest in me for quite a while. He said something that really made me think:

"You always criticize me," he said. "You don't want me to call you at 2 am in the morning. You don't want me to stay at your house. You told me I can't go to strip clubs. I can't do anything right."

hmm. I had never thought about that before.

Maybe I'm not in a relationship because I'm hard to get along with. I mean, I never thought of myself as hard to get along with. But maybe I should just stop, take a look inside and think about how I'm treating the men who are interested in me. Maybe I'm running them away. I never thought of myself as the stereotype: Black Woman with a Bad Attitude.

But maybe I need to think again.

Maybe it's not them. Maybe it's me.

What are your thoughts?

2 comments:

SingLikeSassy said...

"You always criticize me," he said. "You don't want me to call you at 2 am in the morning. You don't want me to stay at your house. You told me I can't go to strip clubs. I can't do anything right."

Those aren't criticisms, those are boundaries. Don't let him jedi mind trick you!

As for the other, ain't nothing wrong with you, stop saying that! ::shakes Lottie by shoulders::

Anonymous said...

OLDER gentleman? late 40s ain't old, sweetie. :)