Sunday, February 28, 2010

Date #2

I had a really good date tonite, a really good date.

As you may know, my first date with a guy I met on Match.com was not the best, to say the least. So, I was a little more than apprehensive to go on a date with another guy from Match. But I'm not going to let one bad apple spoil a whole group of boys. Also this time, I had called a couple of friends to let them know that I was going on a date and mentioned the place where we were meeting.

I'll call him Dan. We had been corresponding on Match for about a month and had planned to meet. Then the snow storm hit and with his schedule, my schedule, out of town business trips and a host of other reasons, a whole month had gone by.

But finally we were able to make our schedules work and met tonite for an early dinner at Matchbox in Capitol Hill (isn't it ironic that two people who met on Match.com, met at Matchbox for dinner?).

Dan looked a little older than his profile photo, which must have been taken about 10 years ago. He is 47, but he looked a lot younger in his picture. I normally wouldn't date guys that old, but I'm trying "something new." Nevertheless, I had a good time. We had a great conversation. We talked about everything from politics and social issues to the relevancy of the NAACP. I learned he went to Rutgers for his undergrad and an MBA, and that he was in the financial industry.

He even told me a little bit about his family too: how he is the only one of his four brothers still living; how his mother has Alzheimer's and lives with him now. He began taking care of her full-time in January.

He told me of his desire to get married and have children — 6. He wants 6 kids. I looked at him like he was crazy. (cause Lottie not having no 6 kids). Are you serious? I asked. He grinned. I guess he was. Who's gonna pop out 6 kids for dude? And at my age, I don't know if I can have one without any complications and I'm in my mid-30s. I asked him if he had thought about marrying someone who already had kids, a lady with maybe 2 or 3 children (you know, so she wouldn't have to pop out 6). Sure, he said. But he wants his own. okay.

But I really enjoyed this date. Dan was a perfect gentlemen the entire evening. He pulled out chairs, opened car doors. I enjoyed our conversation. It's been so long since I've been on a date and had a real conversation with a man about real issues and he had honest, well-thought out opinions about the challenges in our community. Dan was mature, smart, engaging, at times funny. I was like, this is a nice guy. But more than that he understood what a gratuity was (lol).

So I wondered why he was still single at 47 and why he was on Match.

Maybe I'll ask him on our next date; wait, if there is another date. I admit I'm being a little presumptuous. But I certainly wouldn't mind going out again with him. He was good company.

Thoughts?

6 comments:

SingLikeSassy said...

Glad to hear your first experience didn't scare you off. And really glad to hear date no. 2 was way better than date no. 1.

Anonymous said...

yeahhhh!!!! This is great Lot! I'm SO PROUD OF YOU for keeping an open mind....this is very encouraging.

TNDRHRT said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TNDRHRT said...

I may just jump back on the online dating thing. Go, Lot! Be positive. There will be a date #2 with "Dan"! :-)

cbean said...

Sounds like perserverance paid off. Stay with it.

Anonymous said...

47 is not that old, miss lottie joiner! hmph. I ain't far from that age & I hate when people ask me why I'm still single at this age. I think it's a rude & cruel question.

Dan sounds decent. Let's see how it plays out (tho i'm with you on the 6 kids thing!)