Monday, January 18, 2010

Stepping Out

I was reading my notes from my interview with Anika Noni Rose today and came across a quote that had profound meaning during this time in my life. She said, "My grandmother always told me, 'If it is to be, it's up to me. You don't sit down. You get up and make something happen."

I believe this advice can be applied not only to achieve professional goals, but also in personal situations.
So I decided to get out of my funk and do something about my singleness.

Right now my schedule is a little crazy. Not only do I work full-time but I teach Jazzercise six days a week and go to school on Saturdays. There's little time for me to get out and meet people. Also, I haven't found too many cool places that cater to the 30+ crowd. I always thought that I would just bump into someone at the supermarket and it would be love at first sight, but that hasn't happened yet.
As a result, I have joined several online dating sites, mainly Match.com and eHarmony. I've never done online dating before and have gotten mixed reviews from folks.

eHarmony has sent me a note indicating that someone read my profile and is interested in communicating with me. The person is an IT professional who lives in Springfield, Va., and is 48. I was going to discount him until I read that he enjoyed "making home improvements and repairs around the house."

Wow. I really need a handyman. It's hard to find good help these days. Most of the folks I've dealt with when it came to home services were either too expensive or unreliable.

I am really not interested in dating anyone two years from 50, but on the other hand, I need a good handyman. There's a lot of stuff in my house that needs to be fixed.

What do you think?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

girl... go get u a handyman. they're great!

Brenda said...

I think the best way to meet someone is to widen your dating pool and accept people who arent the perfect age, weight, race, career level, etc.

I met my husband through a newspaper want ad when I decided I wasn't going to date the same type of guy I had been looking for over and over and over. When I made that decision, I actually met a number of great guys - but my husband was the best of the bunch!

jallen said...

I do believe in being proactive ... yet i've been doing nothing, using school and work and everything else that will never be done as an excuse. Okay, now i am inspired. Now, maybe I'll actually respond to the match.com emails piling up in my mailbox. I will, if you will.

SingLikeSassy said...

I think you need to make more time to meet people. Also, I was in Ben's Next Door before Christmas on a Tuesday night and it was packed FULL of nice looking brothers dressed well. Get your cute on and get over there.

SingLikeSassy said...

P.S. I know someone who met a guy last spring and got engaged at Christmas. He's a doll. They are great together. Love is out there waiting for you. Make yourself available so it can find you.

TNDRHRT said...

I think it's good that you are doing online dating. I tried it a few years ago and met some ok folks. No love match...as you can tell. However, I'm still up in the air about giving it a try again. We'll see. I'm wishing you much luck in this!

Anonymous said...

I saw go for the handyman….a good one is hard to find.

Anonymous said...

my experience has been that nearly-50 men are better in bed than younger ones...