Saturday, December 5, 2009

Monogamy Overrated?


Okay, I should be learning new Jazzercise routines right now, but as you can see I'm blogging.

In an exclusive interview with E ! Online, Playboy founder Hugh Hefner says that he is surprised that people are so surprised to hear about Tiger Woods' infidelity.

In the story Hefner says that "marriage is just a convenience" and that "the notion that monogamy lasts forever is a wish !"

Wow.

Am I living in some kind of fairyland? I know that I can be idealistic at times, but what's wrong with expecting faithfulness?

Call me naive, but I don't want to be in a marriage where I am "not surprised" if my husband cheats.

What are your thoughts?

4 comments:

TNDRHRT said...

Same here, Lot. I want to be surprised IF my husband cheats. Maybe I'm naive and idealistic, too. Shrugs.

SingLikeSassy said...

I don't want to be surprised cause I don't want my husband to cheat. Hugh Hefner is a sex peddler so it's to his benefit to push the idea that people are hunching everything they see. Just ignore him.

Anonymous said...

well, a) consider the source. but 2) there was just a huge feature in the atlantic about this topic. not about monogamy being overrated, but asking the question if marriage has a shelf life. that maybe we should treat it like all other contractual things. at the 20-year mark, re-evaluate. if it's still good, re-up. but if not, everybody packs their toys and moves on to the next. i don't know about that, either, though just about every friend i have whose marriage is nearing 20 years is having difficulties. where once there was this incredible love, there's now "we spent all this time being good parents and no time on being us, and the love is gone." it's sad.

that said, tiger hasn't been married long enough to be at this point yet. he just thought he could have his cake and eat it too.

Anonymous said...

Hugh Hefner is a NUT!!!! I would not want to be in a marriage in which I would not be surprised if my husband cheated. I think it is still possible to have that type of marriage despite all the evidence to the contrary. I admire the Pres and First Lady's relationship. She says that in all their years of marriage he has not fundamentally disappointed her. They acknowledge that marriage is tough. I want that. I think guys, and some women, just don't realize how much work marriage is and is supposed to be. It's not supposed to be easy and never was. Our grandparents just made it look easy and stuck it out because to many of them divorce just wasn't an option.