Tuesday, August 25, 2009

An Affair of the Heart

On Good Morning America this morning,
Sheryl Weinstein talked about her
21-year affair with disgraced Ponzi
schemer Bernie Madoff. You can read the
story here .

In her tell-all book, on sale at a bookstore near you,
she reveals that she had an intimate, sexual affair
with Madoff for only a year and a half, but was his mistress
for 20 years. (She's been married for 37 years)

hmmmmm. I guess I can understand that - sex for only a year, mistress for 20 years.
I'm assuming they mostly went to dinner, long walks, long talks —
essentially an emotional affair.

Man, I would love that.

I mean, I would love to have someone buy me lots of
jewelry, clothes, cars, art and a fabulous condo (in the Caribbean)
— without ever sleeping with them.
They would give me gifts basically because they liked me.
We would have an "emotional" affair.

I like this idea. I can get all these great gifts, go
to the best restaurants, travel — without
feeling pressure to have sex with a man.
I mean, if he's giving generously, who am I to say no?

I'm down. I can definitely do this relationship.

Or can I?

I'm afraid I may not be able to do this because
of my doggone good heart. I know I'll feel guilty,
like I'm "using" the person or "taking advantage."

I'm so lame.

What about you?
Could you have "an affair of the heart" in which a guy
just buys you stuff but you're not sexually intimate with him?

But sometimes the "emotional" affairs are more dangerous
than the physical ones.

Let me know your thoughts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't watch the interview this morning but I do understand why a seemingly intelligent woman would agree to this arrangement. She probably didn't think that she was doing anything wrong and that they were just friends, until she slept with him of course. I'm sure that she enjoyed his company and he was giving her gifts too. It would be very hard to take a pass.

Although both are against my morals, I actually think that an emotional affair is worse than a sexual one. They seem to last longer and that connection doesn't dissipate like that of a lustful, sexual affair. That's why people say that you should marry your friend instead of your lover and you'll be happier in the long run. I hate to use celebrities as examples, but even Jen Aniston said that she knew that Brad was having an emotional affair very shortly after they started filming "Mr and Mrs Smith" and that he became distant. We all know what happened there.

SingLikeSassy said...

Depends. I'd like to think I would never date someone's husband, cause I certainly wouldn't want my husband to cheat on me, but if I were single and unattached, could I let some dude buy me stuff with no strings attached? Depends.

Anonymous said...

having just had an 11-month mostly emotional affair ('cause of distance), you're right: those are more dangerous than physical ones. there was no gift giving or trip taking or anything in my affair, but he shared his heart with me. his fears, his dreams, his desires, his wishes, good days, bad days, when his parents got sick, when his sister left her abusive husband, his retirement plans, drama between his daughters and their mother (his wife). some of this stuff i'm sure he shared with her, too, but there was enough in those 11 months that he only shared with me because she wasn't receptive, didn't want to hear it, would've been hurt, whatever.

i could probably forgive--if i were his wife--the physical part of the affair. it's not like THAT happened all that often. i don't think i could get over, however, that he'd shared his heart with another woman. that even though the affair is over (and has been for 2 months now), he's still emotionally attached to another woman on some level.

would i feel guilty as the other woman in an emotional affair? no. i don't. but if i were the wife, he'd be history.