Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Wife Ready

I know a lot of beautiful single ladies who are ready to get married.
But I have to ask myself, "Am I wife ready?"

After the beautiful wedding ceremony and romantic honeymoon, am I ready to
do the "hard work"?

I was talking with a few friends last night about this subject and
one said, "You should ask yourself will you marry you?"

wow.

Will I marry me?

That's a good question. I mean, I think I'm a good catch.
But I have to think about things that make a good marriage.
I don't know. I've never been married. And as single ladies we always
talk about "what we wouldn't put up with."

But peel away the superficial stuff and I have to ask, "What
does a man look for in a wife?" Most men I know want someone attractive,
good in bed and intellectually stimulating. But is this person wife material?

What makes a good wife?
Am I good housekeeper? Will I provide a loving home environment?
Can I cook a meal that will make my husband proud?
Am I too set in my ways to share or compromise?
Would I have to give up some of my independence? Would I trust
the person enough to take care of our family and resources?
Would I be supportive through the rough times?
Would I "submit" to him? (that's my next post)

I understand that you can't be selfish in a marriage. It's
a lot of giving (and sometimes the woman ends up giving up more).

So take a look at your life:
Would you marry you?

Maybe I'm not wife material after all. Are you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'd marry me in a heartbeat! i was actually proved quite wife-ready back in the late '80s, early '90s, when i lived with my long-time boyfriend. but he wasn't hubby-ready, unfortunately. (apparently he is now; he's been married for the past 10 years.)

i believe i was made wife-ready watching my parents' marriage. i was under no illusions that marriage takes hard work. but they were also best friends, truly committed soulmates who made 43 years of marriage really look like wedded bliss. i want what they had, and am willing to do what it takes to have it. i just don't meet men who are ready to do the work. instead of always asking what's wrong with us (not at all saying we're perfect, mind you), we need to spend more time making sure we're hooking up with men who are hubby ready.

Anonymous said...

I don't think it's as cut-and-dried as a check-off list of "wife-like" attributes.

I ain't been married, but I think I've been in enough relationships to determine that it's more about making deals with yourself and your partner.

I am deeply flawed. I am a subpar housekeeper. I can be territorial. I'm a bit of a cultural snob.

I used to think the reason I wasn't "yoked" was that I had to fix everything "broken" about me. I don't think that anymore. I just haven't had the opportunity to meet the dude who wants me enough to deal with my shyte and vice versa.

Knowing Me, I would marry Me quick-fast! I'm friggin' awesome!

from your former roommie...