Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A Husband, This Year !

I can't be mad at Neenah Pickett.

The 42-year-old New Jersey-based media consultant got fed up with not having a man.
Her New Year's Resolution? Meet her husband.

Pickett wants to get married - this year !

The traditional ways of meeting a man just didn't seem to work anymore.
Pickett tried online dating but no sparks. She says she hasn't dated in a year.

"If you're putting yourself out there and not getting a response, try something different," Pickett said on Essence.com.

Pickett took matters in her own hand and tried something different. She created the website 52weeks2findhim.com to find her husband. She posted her profile, pictures and even has a questionnaire for potential mates to complete.

Since publishing her website, she's received more than 100 emails. She says some of the guys who responded are way too young - 22 - and a few were old enough to be her father.

But she already has dates lined up and who knows, she may be a MRS. by this time next year.

I think her idea is creative, unique and innovative.
Although I want to get married, I don't know if I'll go to these lengths to meet a mate. I'm not brave
enough to put myself out there.

But I know I'll have to "try something different" because what I'm doing now is not working.

What do you think of Pickett's idea?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i ain't mad at her, but i'm waaay leery of the online thing. you open yourself up to too much nuttiness. my facebook account is SUPPOSEDLY private, but it still attracts a few wackos here and there.

SingLikeSassy said...

I say do whatever you have to do to have the life you want and worry about what other folks think later.

Unknown said...

ohhhhhh....I don't know Miss Lot....On the surface it just seems so incredibly DESPERATE!!! I definitely think she's opening up herself to be taken advantage of. This also seems awfully dangerous, putting her real identity out to the world...people are CRAZY.

Who wants/needs to go through 100 emails??? Finding a good man is like fertilizing an egg...you only need ONE good one...LOL. But for real though??? I truly believe that marriage is an institution ordained by God, not by man (or woman!). By taking this matter into her own hands and so aggressively pursuing a mate, I believe she is setting herself up for disaster.

I once attended a singles conference and I will never forget this phrase: "God's will, God's way, in God's TIME".

Amen.

Anonymous said...

There a lot of single black women in the church waiting on God to bring them a man. I was taught that God helps those who help themselves. So, if that means you have to seek out some new opportunities to broaden your chances of meeting someone who could become your husband, why is that not "Godly" or whatever? How do you know God is not in the works there, too, by pushing you to leave your comfort zone and try new things?

Tamara said...

In the name of affirmation, I created a "deadline" for finding my husband. And I married a person I'd known all along and hadn't "noticed" as spouse potential. So I can't say it doesn't work. BUT, when things get rough--and they do--I wonder what would have happened if I'd been more patient and moved with the universe instead of trying to make the universe meet my deadline.

Tamara said...

Definitely read "The Year of Yes" by Maria Dahvana Headley (Hyperion). She decided that, for a solid year, she was going to say "yes" to anyone who asked her out. The resulting book is funny, insightful, inspiring and beautifully written.