Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Motherhood


I've never considered myself the type that would be a stay-at-home mom.
I like to be in the street.
But after spending two weeks with my sister and her newborn twins, I had
second thoughts.

They were so little and tiny. I just wanted to hug them.
I had an urge to always keep them safe.
How could you leave them?

My sister has to return to work in March and is looking
for childcare. She is a public school teacher.
The twins will be only four months old.

Would I want to leave my young tiny newborns in the care of someone else?
Anything could happen - especially at daycare centers with lots of other kids.
At what point would I be okay leaving them? 6 months? a year?

Maybe I should stay home until my kid turns 6 and goes to first grade.
That's 6 years out of the workforce.

Maybe I'll be rich enough to afford a nanny. Then again, anything could happen.
Did anyone see "The Hand that Rocks the Cradle?" scary.

But millions of women do it everyday and their kids turn out just fine.
What are your thoughts?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As someone who spent her whole life assuming she would be a mom only to find out that might not be the case thanks to circumstances outside my control, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that if I am blessed with a child I will be a stay-at-home mom. I don't think that after going through at least 3 IVF procedures (I've done two failed cycles already, here's hoping no. 3 will be the winner), I will be able to leave my child in someone else's care.

Also, while a nanny may seem expensive, if you do a nanny share, it comes out to about the same amount you might pay for a good daycare.

Welcome to the blogosphere.

TNDRHRT said...

Hey Lot!!!! Welcome!

As you know, I want to be a stay at home mom. I would be too nervous to leave my kids in the care of someone else minus family. I don't think I could do it. Any man I date will know this.